Bringing new life into the world is an indescribable feeling. However, it can take a toll on your body if your figure doesn’t decide to bounce back after having the baby. Between pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding, your appearance goes through a whirlwind – which can ultimately take a toll on your self-esteem and make it more difficult to feel comfortable in your own skin.
With all the challenges that come with motherhood, you deserve a chance to feel worthy, confident, fearless and satisfied with life. A mommy makeover can be your ticket to a positive livelihood.
Let’s take a close look at the different surgeries that define the mommy makeover, plus some recovery tips if you’re considering this route to a new and improved you:
What’s a mommy makeover?
According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, a mommy makeover is defined as a combination of cosmetic surgeries performed to make improvements on the body based on the physical changes that came with pregnancy and childbirth. Generally, most women go through a breast and stomach reconstruction surgery, but every mommy makeover is different. Each surgeon designs a customized approach to meeting each patient’s individual wants and needs.
Whether caused by weight gain during pregnancy or a Cesarean section operation, women are likely to undergo an abdomen procedure. Breastfeeding mothers may watch their chest fluctuate in size – which can cause pain and discomfort – inspiring them to breast reduction, lift or augmentation.
What surgeries are included?
As mentioned, a mommy makeover is essentially a breast or abdomen surgery – or a combination of the two. Let’s take a closer look at the procedures one may be interested in after giving birth:
- Breast augmentation. Also known as breast implants, breast augmentation is perfect for women who want to restore the fullness and volume lost after giving birth. This is a common consideration for women who breastfed.
- Breast lift. A breast lift can help restore shape for those who find their chest is more noticeably sagging than before.
- Breast reduction. Sometimes, breast grow cup sizes larger during pregnancy and while breastfeeding. Breast reduction can help women get back to their normal breast size, or perhaps even smaller.
- Tummy tuck. Also known as abdominoplasty, is ideal for women who gave birth and have issues losing weight in the stomach area after improved diet and regular exercise. Women who gave birth via Cesarean section may find the tummy tuck to be beneficial, as the tearing of the abdominal muscles during the C-section procedure makes it more difficult to slim back down.
- Liposuction. This procedure can be used to remove excess fatty deposits and improve the contour in the body, perfect for women who gained weight in trouble areas and can’t lose the weight after exercise and healthy eating habits.
What are some recovery tips?
Whether one – or a mixture – of the above procedures sounds appealing to you, you must remember that it’s a long road to recovery. The following tips from the ASPS can come in handy and aid optimal healing and substantial results if you plan on going through with the process of a mommy makeover: Stop smoking, eat well, get rest and seek advice from your surgeon if need be.
- Smoking after your makeover can slow down the healing process. It’s in your best interest to cut the habit weeks before your procedure and beyond.
- Your diet aids recovery as well. Make sure you’re eating a diet that’s loaded with vitamins and minerals and stay hydrated with plenty of water.
- Don’t assume you can jump right back into your normal schedule. Take time off from working and give your body the rest it deserves.
- If seems like you’re taking too long to recovery or you just have general questions about your procedure and the healing process, never be afraid to reach out to your plastic surgeon.
Let Maryland Plastic Surgery help you
If you’re ready to discover your best self after having kids, a trip to Maryland Plastic Surgery can be the motivational boost you need. Whether it’s a tummy tuck, breast augmentation or liposuction, the surgeons at our award winning medical spa can help you achieve the look you’ve been craving for years.
Motherhood is challenging enough – don’t let your body take a toll on your confidence. A flat stomach and enhanced chest is in your near future. If you’re ready to look and feel your best, contact Maryland Plastic Surgery directly today. We look forward to discussing our popular procedures and scheduling your consultation.