Botox / Dysport
Since the 1960’s, Botox has been used to treat millions of patients to correct medical conditions. Dr. Adam Summers began using Botox for cosmetic use in clinical trials in 1998. Because it was shown to be very safe and effective, Botox was approved for cosmetic use by the FDA in 2002.
Botox injections are a simple procedure to correct minor wrinkles with no downtime and have become one of the most popular cosmetic procedures. Common areas for Botox injections include horizontal forehead furrows, vertical lines between the eyebrows and “crow’s feet” around the eyes. Botox has proven to be a superior option for non-surgical facial rejuvenation and is capable of producing phenomenal improvements in your appearance.
What Is Botox?
Botox is a protein that works by temporarily reducing the activity facial muscles beneath the skin that are causing many of the wrinkles. When Dr. Summers injects Botox at the Maryland Plastic Surgery Center Medical Spa, Botox blocks the impulses from the nerve to the facial muscles, thereby relaxing them. The result is the underlying facial muscles relax and the skin begins to smooth out. Because muscles that have been temporarily “frozen” cannot wrinkle the overlying skin, Botox is ideally suited for alleviating facial wrinkles that are caused by repeating the same facial expression over time. The effects of a Botox treatment will last approximately three to six months after which the patient may choose to repeat the procedure.
What Can Botox Injections Do For Me?
- Botox injections are a great way to temporarily eliminate frown lines, crow’s feet, and other creases on the forehead.
- Botox injections can correct many of the wrinkles that appear around the eyes.
- Botox injections can alleviate vertical wrinkles on the upper lip in select patients.
- Botox injections can reduce the appearance of muscle bands in the neck.
- Botox injections can be repeated as often as necessary and desired – most people repeat the procedure 3-4 times per year.
What Do Botox Injections Feel Like?
- We typically apply ice to the area prior to the injection – this results in a numb area and the needle is frequently not felt.
- The needle used is very small and most people experience only minor discomfort during the treatment.
What Can I Expect After the Procedure?
- You may wear makeup and return to work immediately after the procedure.
- The results of your Botox injections will appear within 7 days.
- Botox injections do not permanently eliminate wrinkles, but the effects last from 3-6 months.
- Minor bruising is possible, especially if the crows feet area is treated – application of ice and avoidance of straining can reduce this possibility.
Treatments for both underarms requires the use of 100 units of Botox. At the Maryland Plastic Surgery Center, we have a reduced price/unit of Botox for this particular application. Treatments for the palms and soles of feet require nerve blocks prior to administration of the Botox, therefore the cost is slightly greater.
Frequently Asked Questions
Botox is appropriate for any adult who is concerned about the appearance of wrinkles around the forehead region. In our experience, age alone should not be considered as an absolute indication or contraindication for the use of Botox.
Botox is helpful in the treatment of hyperhidrosis (excess sweating) of the palms, soles of feet and underarms. Botox works by inhibiting contraction of the smooth muscles which encircle sweat glands, thus limiting the ability of the treated glands to express sweat.